Thursday, December 8, 2011

Old Favorites

I wrote a post a while ago about reading and rereading books. Since no one cared to resolve my indecision for me, I figured I'd group my favorites rereads into just one post, especially since they're all series.

Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr + newbie Inheritance)


Eragon goes from poor peasant farmer to savior of the continent. Hooray! And dragons! They're very dense reads but I think the ridiculously diverse characters and world building are worth it. My favorite parts are anything having to do with Arya: gorgeous, elf princess, always beating up the boys. And the second book is pretty cool in terms of twists and surprises. Also, I felt so relived after FINALLY getting a conclusion.

Chronicles of Narnia (All 7, in the chronological order of this boxed set)

How great are these books?! They're aimed towards children so the first time I reread them (a few years ago) I was surprised at the simplicity. But that's because the stories and the whole of Narnia are so endlessly fascinating, even if you don't buy into the allegory.  

The Horse and His Boy is my favorite because I adore Aravis. And the line at the end: "So that years later, when they were grown up, they were so used to quarreling and making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently."

C. S. Lewis is a genius with words. The End.

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (by Douglas Adams)

Everyone should read these. Quite literally the funniest and most bizarre series I have ever read in my life. It's all in the titles:  
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (makes a smashing film)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (not the end you'd think)
  • Life, the Universe, and Everything (witty comment?)
  • So Long and Thanks for all the Fish (my favorite song in the whole universe)
  • Young Zaphod Plays it Safe (sadly short)
  • Mostly Harmless (if I recall correctly, this one has Elvis in it)

The Thief Series (The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia plus A Conspiracy of Kings)


We all know how much of a fangirl I am about MWT. I don't really need to repeat myself, do I? Good.

The Heir Chronicles (by Cinda Williams Chima)

My sister is the one who got my reading this series, and I just fell in love. I'm not sure what it is - a combination of marvelously thought out magic, characters I want to be best friends with and some crazy villains. I found this beautiful set at Half Price Books and then reread them while I was in Peru. (I overcame my dislike of boxed sets after not having to worry about packing these.)

I haven't been able to decide which is my favorite; it's a very close contest between The Wizard Heir and The Dragon Heir, the second and third books. Mostly because of a boy named Seph. I wish I'd thought of that name. He's beautiful. And he speaks French.

Whew. That was a lot of formatting and picture-finding. Now, if you're especially insane and have studied my 2011 book list, you've noticed that I also reread Graceling. I figured since this is the first year I read it, even though I did read it twice, I'd talk about it with it companion, Fire. Only fair to let the buddies hang out together. And this post is long enough without adding that fangirling out.

More Blessed Word Count: 13, 923...I may have miscalculated my word count yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment