Friday, December 16, 2011

Men Who Hate Women (45 & 88)

No, this isn't a feminist rant (at least, I don't think it will be). Yes, that is the most fitting title for these reviews. Let me explain.


The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

You'd have to be living under a rock to not have heard of Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy. I finished the series this year, as well as seeing the first two movies. (The Swedish version, of course. I could write a whole post on how amazing Noomi Rapace is. Several, actually.) Lisbeth Salander is the most ethical character I think I've ever seen, even if those ethics don't always conform to society's. Hence, the reason for the trial at the center of Hornet's Nest. The size and breadth of these novels may seem intimidating, but they are totally worth it.

I am still horribly upset that Steig Larsson passed away before finishing all his work, writing and otherwise. I feel like he and I would be best friends. We both think giving women equal rights and saving the world from fascist right wing hate groups (among other issues) are incredibly important. That is why the first novel is really titled Men Who Hate Women instead of the more neutral The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

"There Are Thing I Want You to Know" About Steig Larsson and Me

The person most horribly upset by Steig's passing is his widow, Eva Gabrielsson. Because they never married due to concerns for their safety, she got shut out of his estate by his father and brother, who rarely saw him. This is despite Steig's wishes, set down in an unsigned will, and the fact that they were together for 30 YEARS. A very ethical person herself, Eva has always been more concerned about the intellectual/artistic rights and integrity of the series while her in-laws greedily grab up all the money that should have been hers and Steig's.

As a way of coping with this terrible situation, she wrote this fabulous book. She describes their life and activism together, as well as detailing portions of the trilogy that come from their direct experiences and friends. It's a fascinating and heartbreaking look inside Steig's mind. I hope someday she'll be able to finish at least Book 4 because I would love to read it and all the other books Larsson had planned.

I hope I managed this post without sounding too ranty. I admit I felt compelled to cut a few sentences that seemed really angry. I just have really strong feelings about everything tied into the series' content (exposing the ever-present sexism, racism, homophobia, classicism, etc.) and its publication.

More Blessed Word Count: 15,613

No comments:

Post a Comment