Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Reading and Rereading

Wow, I've been making a habit of disappearing from the Internet. This time, I was on a reading binge. I've read 9 books in the 13 days I've been home...it has been wonderful! I'm crossing things off my ridiculously long book list and I'm a third of the way to 100 books for the year!

I've never really thought about it, but there's a huge difference in reading for the first and the gazillionth time. These 9 books have all been new. Over the past two years at school, most of the books I've read have been the ones I loved enough to buy.

In a way, I was kind of tired of the books I have. On a reread, you know the plot twists, the funny parts, the sad parts. You know exactly what to expect - except for the few times the author really surprises you by sneaking something in. I love that about rereading, noticing all the little details. But right now I'm just too close to the last read that there's not any sense of newness.

On the other hand, reading something new can be tense. You worry about the characters, you get angry or sad when you don't need to, you are so surprised at every little twist. The best part is you get to go somewhere new. I've been in 13th Century England, 1940s Poland, faery kingdoms, present-day North Korea, places based on medieval Russia and ancient India, and somewhere totally made up. All in one week :)

If you can't tell, I read a lot of random stuff. It's nice to go back and forth between fantasy and "reality" in books. Especially when you're crazy like me and read one a day for days in a row, sometimes that really helps me keep the books straight. Mostly, though, I just like reading. I don't read horror books or really sappy romances very much, but everything else is fair game!

Also, I noticed I have a bad habit of making alliterations in my titles. It's weird. I don't normally do that, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment