Friday, December 9, 2011

Traveling through History (12, 27 & 62)

How else would OCD little me proceed through my "New Favorites" book reviews except to make a highly thought out, categorized list? I've read so many good books this year that I had to make myself cut the amount of reviews (and therefore posts) from a impossible number to a mere 26...plus 9 "Honorable Mentions." So, in a very particular order, I give you the first three finalists :)

Revenge of the Rose by Nicole Galland

This lady is another of my absolute favorite authors. I randomly picked up her third book, Crossed, from the new books section of my library and FELL IN LOVE. For reals. The writing is brilliant, the characters are fabulous, the settings are artfully done. Historical fiction is tricky to do but all of Nicole Galland's books are amazing!

I'm jealous of the genius that went into crafting Revenge of the Rose. I love love love all the sneaking around the characters get to do in this one. Everybody's working for their own benefit - even some of the "good" guys are at cross purposes - and it's a guess as to who's going to come out on top in the end.

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Thank you Ms. Gregory. Now I can astound my friends with my detailed knowledge of the War of the Roses. I love all the twists and turns - especially since they're more or less factual history. I love the added element of magic (always a fan). And I love that this is just as in-depth as her other books. It's not just a snapshot of Elizabeth Woodville's life, but (basically) the whole, fascinating thing.

I'm just mad there's already a book about this. I wanted to write a super awesome book about the Princes in the Tower! But I imagine my version wouldn't take place in actual England, so it's all right :)

A Death in the Venetian Quarter by Alan Gordon

And this guy rounds out the trio. I've read the rest of this series but my library at home didn't have this one. Thank goodness the one at school does! The sneaky jesters (agents of peace and foolery) are in Constantinople working their magic right before the Fourth Crusade hits. Plus, a baby!

I don't think Alan Gordon can write a book I won't like. He's mixed Shakespeare's plays with Feste/Theo's life and real historical events and murder mysteries. I have no idea how he does it, but these books are so witty and so complex and so OMG awesome! If I could make a suggestion: go get Thirteenth Night from your local library. Right now. And then read the rest of these fabulous tales, in order of course.

Well, that wraps up that category. Tune in for tomorrow's fangirl moment featuring two lovely novels by Kristin Cashore.

More Blessed Word Count: 14,097

No comments:

Post a Comment