Friday, September 16, 2011

Magic and Dor

I've finished 3 books in the past 24 hours: Mockingjay (by Suzanne Collins) yesterday evening, The Folk Keeper (by Franny Billingsley) at three in the morning, and Magic Under Glass (by Jaclyn Dolamore) earlier today.

While I liked all of them, and all the books I've read recently, I realized that some books have much more of a draw for me. The biggest thing they have in common (besides being mostly YA) is that there is a pervasive sense of magic or mysticism or otherworldliness. That's what I want most from reading - being transported to another time, world, reality.

When that spirit is missing, it's just not quite the same. I still like contemporary, historical or mystery books that don't have a magical feel, but there's not the same emotional pull. That's what I'd like to be able to write someday.

We did an activity in my Cultural Diversity class the other day where we had to pick a different culture or ethnicity to be a part of. Anyone need a guess as to what I picked?
Is that not the most beautiful sight in the world?

Unfortunately, we also had to talk about why we wanted to be a part of that culture instead of our own. At first I just thought, I want to because Russia is awesome! But I figured that wouldn't be the most intellectual answer.

Then it hit me - dor. The word is Romanian but it perfectly expresses what draws me to all of Eastern Europe, the longing, melancholy love of country and people. Their struggles. The mysticism. That seems kind of like a stereotype, or like I'm idealizing the Russia of the past, but I really admire that spirit. It makes more sense if you read this lovely book: Train to Trieste by Domnica Radulescu.

The last question asked how I would be different if I were Russian. I said I would actually be patriotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment