Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May the Fourth be with you

I've been debating since yesterday whether or not I really want to do this, but the "GO FOR IT!" half of my brain seems to have won...soooo this is the prologue of the very first book I ever started writing (well, outlining would probably be a better word for it). I finally finished it yesterday after lots of palmreading YouTube videos and procrastination. What do y'all think?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     The young girl bounded into the dimly lit cottage where her great-aunt Mosery sat hunched over a cluttered worktable. “Please, Auntie, I’ve finished the spell, see! Now will you read my palms?”

     The old woman sighed. “Aye, but sit quiet-like ‘til I finish this charm.”

     Kea dragged her stool across the room until she was sitting at her aunt’s elbow. Mosery peered down at her through her foggy glasses. “Ye won’t be leaving me alone ‘til I do the reading, eh?”

     She giggled and shrugged her shoulders.

     Shaking her head, Mosery cleaned off her table and turned to her niece, muttering, “Give yer hand here, then.” As she complied, Mosery closed her eyes and began breathing deeply. Kea stared as flashes of light, in the shape of runes she couldn’t recognize, danced across the room and finally settled over her outstretched palm.

     “Auntie…“ Kea started.

     “Hush, patience is needed,” came the reply.

      A slight humming noise filled Kea’s ears as the runes melted into her hand. Mosery opened her eyes and squinted intently at the lines, now so distinct, on the girl’s palm.

     “Here, child, ye see the three strongest lines. This one, long life and fair health. That ‘un, well, ye seem ruled by yer emotions.” She chuckled as Kea blushed.

     “Hmmm. The middle line, see how far it lies from the lowest? Ye best heed it, for otherwise ye will be making decisions without caution. And what decisions they will be.”

     Alarm flooded Kea’s childish face. “Bad decisions?” Her voice trembled.

     “Well, let’s see,” her aunt said reassuringly, “Ye will be pulled in different directions by yer family. Ah, the decisions. I tell ye, caution yer temper, lest yer fate be controlled by others.”

     “But I don’t have a family, only you!” Kea protested.

     “Nay, I see a marriage, and a young one at that. Many children, yes, but their life is uncertain. Beware the flattering man, for an affair could ruin all ye have built.” Mosery patted the girl’s hand, and the last of the lights faded away.

     Kea yanked her hand out of her aunt’s palm. “I don’t want that, Aunt Mosery. I want a different fortune!”

     “Don’t ye be worrying, child. Magic comes to those who need it.” She nodded, ending the discussion, and sent Kea running back outside with a wave of her hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment