Wednesday, June 22, 2011

La Cuarta Semana

I have never had much luck with technology. Last week, my nice post about sightseeing at some ruins and a beautiful church got magically deleted by the computer. Today, I bought a USB drive to store my photos so I could take a couple hundred more (since I forgot to pack mine) and it doesn't seem to be the right thing.

But on a happier note, my school placement is working out, I'm going to get to try guinea pig soon, tomorrow and Friday are holidays, and I finished my major sightseeing, so I have time to read :)

I also have a couple more pictures to share! This is Ollantaytambo, which is about two and a half hours away from Cusco. It is a huge complex - there's a whole nother set of stairs to get down. It was a religious site, with a temple to the Sun at the top and another at the bottom next to where the girls who were going to be sacrificed lived.

After that, I stopped in the town of Chinchero on my way back. That was for sure my favorite site. There's a beautiful church built on the ruins of an Inka palace. All that's left of the palace are the Andenes, the amazing tiers with walls that are at least six feet high. The whole thing is absolutely breathtaking.

Six of the 13 places that I went to were museums, so I don't have any pictures from visiting those during the week last week. This past weekend, I went to one more set of ruins that were really gorgeous. I would show you a picture, but the computer's not cooperating.

I also have pictures from a parade on Saturday that will get posted eventually. This week is festival week in Cusco, with the anniversary of the city, Corpus Christi, and Inti Raymi, the Inka festival for the Sun god. Hopefully I can copy and delete my pictures so I have enough new ones to share from all the festivals. Wish me luck exchanging my not-working USB drive! I hope y'all are enjoying your wonderfully warm summer while my hands are freezing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment