Friday, October 4, 2013

The Firsts

Well, I've been in Spain a week now. I'm getting all the logistical things straightened out (it really helped that there were only two days of school this week) and should have my own apartment tomorrow! To coincide with my earlier post, here are some of the new things I'm experiencing.

Airport Express! I saw 30 minutes' worth of Madrid from those bus windows.
The first bus ride. And the first glimpse I got of Spain! A ride on this wonderful creation cost about the same as the metro but was so much easier with two full suitcases and a backpack and a purse. Of course, right after I paid for my ticket, the driver pulled out the airport, so I stumbled into the first available seat and tried to keep all my stuff upright. Luckily for me, the guy I sat next to was part of the same program as me and had remembered the directions from the bus stop to the hotel (just a block down the road, but directionally challenged me would have had no idea which street to go down).

The first nap. Madrid hotel room, 3 hours after landing. 

I got these to see what Spain considers "Tex Mex," but they're really just the Nacho Cheese ones.
The first food. I don't think it's possible to travel abroad and not talk about the amazing, (somewhat) foreign foods. We had buffets at every meal provided for us in Madrid - so much delicious food. The fruits and vegetables! The fish - yes, I actually ate it! The chocolate pudding! And the bread! I haven't stopped eating fresh bread since I got to Soria. It's heavenly.

The building was originally a Jesuit monastery and was built in the 16th Century (I'm pretty sure that's right).

The first day of school. After spending 8 hours with 6 different classes, I think secondary school (the equivalent of 7th-12th grades) isn't going to be as hard as I originally thought. The school is housed in a beautiful old building, the teachers all seem really nice, and the kids ask some interesting questions. I didn't realize but in Spain, education is only compulsory up to age 16, and the students who want to go to university then take an extra two years called bachillerato (every time they say it, I just think of IB). A few of the kids in that class are actually 19 or 20, which makes me feel weird to be their (assistant) teacher.

Everyone squeezed into shop doorways so the band could get past.
The first holiday! Similar to what happened to me in Peru, I got to Soria right before the festival for their patron saint, San Saturio. The actual Saint's Day was October 2 - also my cousin's birthday. I felt like the whole city was celebrating for her since I didn't get to wish her a happy birthday in person! There have been bands playing pretty much all night long in the Plaza Mayor since Tuesday, kids running around in giant paper mache masks, and food stands selling delicious churros. My sadness at missing the new Big Tex and funnel cakes at the State Fair has been mitigated by all the festivities here.

The stage set up in the Plaza Mayor.

No comments:

Post a Comment