Monday, October 28, 2013

Mercado Medieval

A couple of weekends ago [and yes, it's taken me that long to upload the pictures. Internet problems are the worst] there was a Medieval Market in Soria. That Saturday was a national Spanish holiday, so I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or not, but it was certainly a festive environment.

This guy was accompanied by a troupe of musicians and a guy carrying a python.
Another musical group. The guy in the front was a juggler.
And there were plenty of opportunities to shop. There were stalls, with the vendors dressed in medieval costumes, from the Plaza Mayor all the way to the other end of the main pedestrian street. The first day, I tried the food - a giant banana chocolate crepe and some delicious ribs. Then on Sunday, I bought some jellies, some muffins, and some Christmas presents.

The food stall where I got the ribs. I wasn't brave enough to try octopus.
I think this actually may have been a hookah tent.
The enormous spice stand. It smelled heavenly.
Aside from the shopping and music, there were plenty of other entertainments. One smaller plaza in the middle had all sorts of things for kids to do, from pottery to some kind of medieval game. And the Plaza Mayor had this swing ride and a mini-bird show.

I wish I was young enough to ride this.
Every now and then, two of the ladies from the bird tent would have the hawks fly across the plaza.
The owls got to just hang out all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment