Sunday, September 11, 2011

The People to Remember

Wow. 10 years. Because I don't want to start bawling all over the place, let me just say this.

It's surreal that ten years ago I sat in my 5th grade art class when our teacher told us about the attacks. Even more so that the kids who are 5th graders now were babies. They can't remember a life without 9/11. As for me - I can still remember that day at school being confused and afraid, barely able to comprehend how such bad things could happen. I know I will never forget that feeling.

But it seems like some people have. What is important today is not the fancy speeches, beautiful memorials, picture montages or TV specials. It's definitely not about revenge or hatred or even fear.

It's about the people we lost and the people they left behind. They are the ones who have suffered the most. On this sad anniversary, we need to take our grief and turn it into uniting in celebration of our lives and our many blessings.

Because what else do we have to cling to but each other?


***This song came up on my iTunes right after posting. So perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment