Friday, September 9, 2011

My Book-Reading Neurosis

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth (or just oodles of frustration), I have finally moved the list of books I've read so far this year to a new page! This way, I can update it more easily and you don't have to look at it if you don't want to. A win for everyone :)

And now on to the irregularly scheduled post. (Does that make any sense? Scheduled, as in I've had it tumbling around in my brain for a while, irregularly in that I keep meaning to post more often and never do.)

I have a predicament. I have a very interesting looking book, Belle Ruin by Martha Grimes, checked out from the library. I was about to start reading it the other day when I read the book jacket and, to my horror, discovered it was a sequel. My reaction went something like: NOOOOOOO I CAN'T READ SEQUELS BEFORE READING THE FIRST BOOKS!!!

My mother, among many other people, thinks I am quite crazy (for this opinion, of course).

Apparently, it didn't bother me in elementary school - I skipped over The Fellowship of the Rings when I was reading Tolkien and still haven't gotten it read. For some books, like the Nancy Drew series or Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Saint-Germain vampire books, reading in order doesn't matter although I certainly try to. But for most things, there are spoilers in later books, or character development that you miss, or some other VERY GOOD REASON to wait to read a sequel.

Especially when the two preceding books are available at the library. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment