Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Input and Direction

I feel like this may be another exercise in futility, but here goes.

I am notoriously bad at making decisions. Even with trivial things like what to wear, I can never make up my mind without asking my sister her opinion.

In the same vein, I'm also really unsure if blogging is really my thing. I keep being super critical of myself when no one reads or comments on my posts. The ones people have seemed to really enjoy were the ones from my trip to Peru, and I can't just fly to foreign countries to write interesting blog posts [although I would certainly love to, were money not an issue]. And my reaction to Bin Laden's death. That's not going to happen again.

I tell myself this is silly, that I don't want or expect as big a following as some of the blogs I read. I'm not a famous author, I'm not a unique parent, I'm not writing wonderful comics.

If you didn't know before, these are drawn by Kate Beaton at Hark! A Vagrant
I get that, I really do. But it's got me thinking - I really don't have a theme here. It's all in the title, I suppose. I'm rambling. There are a lot of things that interest me and I like talking about them. It's nicer to feel like I'm talking to someone when I write, rather than just talking to myself.

But the difference between writing and having a conversation is that there is all sorts of feedback that gets lost between computer screens. I don't know how anyone reacts unless they tell me, through comments or in real life. It's really weird, especially having taken so many classes where we talk about the importance of communication.

So I haven't been writing a lot lately. I'm feeling kind of tired. Maybe I'm feeling kind of communication deprived. I think this is one of those chicken and egg situations. Do I not write because I'm tired and then end up getting emotionally exhausted because I'm not writing? Or is it the other way around? I don't know.

The point I'm trying to get to is this: what do Y'ALL want me to blog about? Do you want to see more book reviews? I can do that. Do you like when I talk politics or current issues? I can attempt more of those. How about more on figure skating or movies? I like those posts.

Or do you want to hear my opinions on other things? I haven't really touched on feminism, or languages, or adoption, or child development, or history, etc. I have a lot to say on these topics, I just don't know if it would be interesting or not.

SO. Comment on Facebook or comment here. Tell me something: what about my writing interests YOU?

2 comments:

  1. Write (from http://www.naplwrimo.org/write-poem)

    Write until the ancient ruins no longer crumble at your tears.

    Write until there are no words left.

    Write because you have nothing else.

    Write because you could be doing everything else.

    Write with your fists in your mouth.

    Write until you finish the coffee.

    Write until the clock says 12.

    Write until the bird outside lands on the feeder.

    Write until the kids wake up.

    Write until the phone rings.

    Write because most days you don’t.

    Write because most days you won’t.

    Write because it’s sexy.

    Write because you’re bothered.

    Write because you said you would.

    Write because you haven’t used up all the words yet.

    Write because someone who loves you told you to.

    Write because you love yourself. Write for hatred.

    Write for pain.

    Write for joy and peace and all the goddamn clichés.

    Write to occupy yourself.

    Write while eating leftovers.

    Write when the coke machine is broken.

    Write when it’s too cold to run.

    Write when it’s too warm to sleep.

    Write because it’s not your turn to change the diaper.

    Write because your grandmother would have wanted you to.

    Write for freedom and power and all the bloodshed.

    Write for revolution.

    Write for the fish and the butterflies and the wolves.

    Write so you can meet everybody. Write so you can fall in love.

    Write so you can wear a cape.

    Write so you can hang out in the North Pole.

    Write so you can lose the map.

    Write so you become the river.

    Write to your heart’s desire.

    Write so you are not alone.

    Write to repair broken bones,

    Write like you’d punch a wall,

    Write to stop the nausea.

    Write in charcoal,

    Write in blood,

    Write like the clouds that make shape,

    Write double rainbow all the way.

    Write avocado, margarita and pamplemousse.

    Write like the clouds that make shapes,

    Write like a dreamcatcher,

    Write like a Rorschach Test,

    Write like an encyclopedia.

    Write like an African folk tale.

    Write like an Irish drum,

    Write like a Passion Play.

    Write like Toni Kushner,

    Write like Toni Morrison,

    Write like Bad Religion.

    Write like the Great Wall of China.

    Write like the Space Needle,

    Write like the Eiffel Tower.

    Write like a cancer,

    Like a fallen tree,

    Like burnt metal,

    Like soft steel.

    Write on Satsuma peels, hospitals floors, chicken wire and subway stations.

    Write with a clown nose on,

    Write in hiking boots,

    Write wearing nothing but a hat.

    Write like a pregnant lady,

    Write in a tiny book,

    Write on the breasts of babes,

    Write even when you’re wrong.

    Write with the TV on,

    Write to infinity,

    Write to remember your dreams,

    Write to ignore the future.

    Write to forget the now,

    Write to be more mindful.

    Write to listen more,

    Write to pray for sick,

    Write to blame the rich,

    Write to stop preaching,

    Write to avoid politics,

    Write to chew on this,

    Write because it’s right.



    Write so you can,

    Because you can

    And you always could. Write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I've been kind of bummed about the whole no computer thing, for some of the obvious reasons of course, but also because I don't get to blog anymore. It's been weird. I think about things that I want to blog about and then have no outlet for them."

    ReplyDelete