Saturday, February 4, 2012

Why I Hate Chick Flicks

So I've been thinking about something a lot.

I am not a big fan of inspirational movies. Or stupid comedies. Or chick flicks, clearly.

This is a shocker, I know.

[I must admit that although I do own several movies that fit into at least one of these categories, I haven't even touched them in years. Thank goodness I got past my sappy middle school phase.]

I'm the kind of person who vehemently ridicules the Twilight movie trailers and snorts with derision at "love-at-first-sight-conquers-all" stories.

However, I absolutely LOVE a select number of films that are definitely aimed towards a female audience. Some of my favorites: Tangled, Once and Pride and Prejudice [I need to catch up on other classic-books-made-into-films]. I also have a soft spot for goofy telenovelas [umm, hello, they feature hot foreign boys!].

Why would you not watch this movie?
So because I need to be weird and analytical about these things, I thought up a few reasons for this seeming contradiction.

First, I can't stand bad acting. What can I say, I'm a film snob. [Well, okay, I'm generally fine with campy bad acting when it's done with a purpose. But the average rom-com movie is chalk full of really bland actors and I'm not paying money or wasting time watching their run-of-the-mill performances.]

Especially when you can watch performances like this. From people who aren't actors.
Secondly, I hate the normalcy these movies portray. Chick-flicks are typically set in some modern day city and feature some sort of plot premise that people can relate to - dating, miscommunication, kids, blah blah blah. Even the ones with an interesting hook are so formulaic. There's a limited number of ways to tell a love story and still make money. That's why the majority of books I read are not contemporary.

The exception: modern day somewhere else with really crazy story arcs.
Also, I think my own modern life is boring enough, so why would someone else's similar life be any more captivating? If I'm going to watch something set present-day, it has to involve the spies or musical numbers or explosions that I don't get to hang out with in real life.

Love stories are better with frying pans, thieves, singing and pretty lanterns.
Also, I'm a cynic. So maybe that's the reason and these other explanation are just me overthinking things.

No comments:

Post a Comment